[R] Factanal fits

lhunsicker at mchsi.com lhunsicker at mchsi.com
Mon May 28 18:07:49 CEST 2012

Many thanks to Michael Weylandt and Prof. Ripley for answers to yesterday's query.

1.  The response to

methods(print)

is that the print.princomp method is "non-visible," not "suppressed," as I misquoted.
The method can be located by either

getAnywhere(print.princomp)

as suggested by Michael or by

getS3method(f = 'print', class = 'factanal')

as suggested by Prof. Ripley.  I learn something new about R every day!

2.  Prof. Ripley is correct, of course.  To print out the test whether "The test of the hypothesis that
X factors are sufficient." when submitting a covmat, the factanal function needs to know the n.obs.  The following call, packaging n.obs with the covmat, worked perfectly:

cor3.fa1 <- factanal(factors = 6, covmat = list(cov = cor3, n.obs = 418))

Again, thanks.

Larry Hunsicker
Prof. Medicine, U. Iowa College of Medicine