[R] R Error: System is computationally singular

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri May 25 02:15:46 CEST 2012

On May 24, 2012, at 3:41 PM, Nathan Svoboda wrote:

> Re: [R] R Error: System is computationally singular
> Hi David,
>
> My apologies, I am not sure if this makes a big difference in your
> assessment of the problem, but the results I just sent were only
> from a portion (1/15) of the data. The dataset is rather large and
> the computer I am currently using to set up the models is limited in
> its capabilities to analyze large datasets. When I run the code you
> provided on a larger portion of the data (1/2) this is the output I
> receive:
>
>  LCOVER
> LOCS       1       2       3       4       5       6       7       9
>    0 1692196  630659  550623 6140352  180896  255512  785929   63756
>    1     141      30      48     279       9      14      36       1
>    2      17       4       5      14       3       3       4       1
>    3       0       0       0       3       0       0       1       0
>    5       2       0       0       0       0       0       0       0

I do not see linear dependence (aka computational singularity) in that
data, but if there are no LOCS values of 4, an missing levels has been
reported as a show-stopper with zinf models with pscl in the past.
There could also easily emerge linear dependence if you tabulated the
entire data set. If level 4 had 3 at level 4 of LCOVER or 1 at level 7
then there would be linear dependence.

Marc Schwartz, a smarter guy than I,  has already suggested to you
that your Poisson error structure might not be a good description of
the data.

> Thanks again for your time and assistance,
>
> Nate
>
> Nathan Svoboda
> Graduate Research Assistant
> Mississippi State University