[R] applying cbind (or any function) across all components in a list

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Thu May 24 20:10:14 CEST 2012

You don't make it clear if you want the two lists processed in parallel, but
if so, this may be a step toward the function you want:

Combine <- function(l1, l2) {
  pattern <- cbind(c(1, 2, 2, 3), c(1, 1, 2, 2))
  for (i in 1:length(l1)) {
    print((l1[[i]][,pattern[,1]]+l2[[i]][,pattern[,2]])/2)
  }
}
Combine(l1, l2)

This simply prints the results, but you didn't indicate how you wanted the
output organized.

David L Carlson
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Texas A&M University