[R] package metafor: specify weights?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu May 24 17:05:30 CEST 2012

At the moment, there is no possibility of specifying the weights with the rma() function. While the main model fitting part could be easily adapted to incorporate user-specified weights, the problem comes in with all the additional statistics that can be computed based on a fitted model. How should the predict() function now work? What would be the definition of I^2 now? How would one generalize the influence and outlier statistics to that case? Just to give some examples.

Of course, I could leave out such things when the user has specified the weights, but then things also get confusing for the user. For example, it is already less than ideal that you can only use the trim and fill method with models that do not incorporate moderators. Nobody has (as of yet) generalized the trim and fill method to that case. But when there are too many "special cases", the package becomes unusable.

I did consider user-specified weights at one point, but it opened up so many cans of worms that I preferred to quickly put the lid pack on those cans. That item is written down in my to-do list, but to be honest, it is somewhere at the very end of that list.

If you are hesitant to combine the results from those two types of studies, what about simply using a moderator to distinguish the two groups?

Best,

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology