[R] mgcv: inclusion of random intercept in model - based on p-value of smooth or anova?

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Wed May 23 10:59:04 CEST 2012

Martijn,

I don't think there is one right answer to this. If you look at things
in the way that one would usually view a smooth model then m2 is both
simpler (lower EDF) and fits better, so is simply a better model (if the
simpler model fits better then why would you not use it?).

But of course `simpler' depends on whether you view the random effect as
counting for one parameter, or for it's `effective degrees of freedom'.
  If it's the former then you should probably fit models using
method="ML" and compare via a GLRT test using the ML score, or simply
drop the fixed effect if its p-value according to anova(m2) is too high.

I would not use anova(m1,m2) in this case, because of the difficulty in
interpreting the random effects as being equivalent to un-penalized
effects with rank equal to the random effect edfs.

best,
Simon