[R] R Memory Issues

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun May 20 20:10:56 CEST 2012

On 20/05/2012 18:42, jim holtman wrote:
> At the point in time that you get the error message, how big are the
> objects that you have in memory?  What does 'memory.size()' show as
> being used?  What does 'memory.limit()' show?  Have you tried using
> 'gc()' periodically to do some garbage collection?  It might be that
> you memory is fragmented.  You need to supply some additional
> information.

Either this is a 32-bit version of R in which case the wrong version is
being used, or your advice is wrong: there are no credible fragmentation
issues (and no need to use gc()) on a 64-bit build of R.

But, we have a posting guide, we require 'at a minimum information', and
the OP failed to give it to us so we are all guessing, completely
unnecessarily.