[R] weighted averages for two variables

mpostje mayo_jojo at hotmail.com
Sat May 19 14:43:47 CEST 2012

Hi R users,

I have a dataset with multiple variables and i'm trying to weigh average
depths for fish species per year by their abundance (CPUE. I have tried the
weighted.mean function but as i have two columns for the x value the lenghts
differ with the w (CPUE). How do I solve this problem?

So far I have tried this:
data<-by(allspecies, list(allspecies$Depth, allspecies$Year),
function(allspecies)weighted.mean(allspecies$CPUE))
but this doesn't seem to give the proper values, as the CPUE values are
included. I also have many NA's. When i try to exclude those all my values
change.

Thanks for your help!
much appreciated
marjolein