[R] translation

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:52:47 CEST 2012

On 12-05-18 5:15 AM, gholi bahrami wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam
> I am a BSc student studying statistics in Ferdowsi University of Mashhad,Iran.
> Translating R messages to Farsi is my thesis and I have already downloaded *poEdit*  to translate those messages.However, the created .mo files for R.pot and RGui.pot are not useful at all.
> I would like to be informed if there is something wrong with right-to-left encoding or Farsi fonts or Farsi support.
> I am eagerly looking forward to hearing from you soon.
> I greatly appreciate the assistance you may provided me.

Could you please repost to the R-devel list, with some more details?  As
far as I know Farsi would be our first right-to-left language, so I'd
expect problems.  I don't know if they are solvable with a reasonable
effort, but that's the place to get started.

Examples of details:

Do other displays of Farsi strings in R work properly?  e.g.
cat("some Farsi string") or print("some Farsi string").

Can readLine() read a text file with Farsi text and display it properly?

What is the usual encoding used for Farsi text?

Duncan Murdoch