[R] nls and if statements

DWatts tropical at ufl.edu
Fri May 18 00:03:29 CEST 2012

Peter Ehlers wrote

> If the above data is all you have, I wouldn't chugg too long.
> Looking at plots of Cfl~Pw and Cfl~Tsoil says to me that you
> have far too much variability to fit your model.
>
> You might find this plot instructive:
>
>    library(rgl)
>    plot3d(Pw, Tsoil, Cfl, col=1+(Pw<5), size=5)
>

> Peter Ehlers

I hadn't realized there was such a package, and wow, do I ever wish I'd
learned of that plot3d sooner!
I did have a substantially larger data set to work with, but after a much
more careful look I realized it would never fit the extra param to the low
Pw numbers-- the predictability just isn't there. The 3d plot confirms this,
of course. I did, however, get the help I was looking for, so thank you all!

Danielle