[R] Windows Task Scheduler and R updates. Need basic tips

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 19:28:03 CEST 2012

This is a basic Windows system administrator problem, asked by a Linux
guy who is helping out in a Windows lab.

I want to keep R packages up to date on MS Windows 7 with a job in the
"Task Scheduler".  I have an R program that I can run (as
administrator) that updates the existing packages and then installs
all the new ones.

I do not understand how to run that in a dependable way in the scheduler.

If I put the update script "R-update.R" in, for example, in

C:\Program Files\R\R-update.R

Then what?  Do I need a CMD batch script to run the R script?

I can't tell where Windows wants to write the standard output and
error for my R job.

And while I'm asking, does Windows care if I run

R CMD BATCH C:\Program Files\R\R-update.R

or

R --vanilla -f C:\Program Files\R\R-update.R

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director