[R] how to download source code, pdf manual for any package from internet?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu May 17 16:29:56 CEST 2012

sagarnikam123 <sagarnikam123 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> i can get list of available packages by
> > r<-available.packages()
>
> No of available packages
> > length(r[,1])
> [1] 3739
>
> single package name
> > r[1,1]
> [1] "ACCLMA"
>
> i want download all packages  starting with "A" / "a" alphabets,
> with their source code, pdf manual/vignettes from internet
>
> --

grep("^[Aa]",rownames(r),value=TRUE)

gets you the names of the 143 packages starting with A or a.

If you google ACCLMA you will find

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ACCLMA/

with further links

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/ACCLMA_1.0.tar.gz
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/ACCLMA/ACCLMA.pdf

You can use paste() and download.file() in a loop to get all of the
packages.

ACCLMA happens not to have any vignettes.  It's a little hard for me
to see how you can figure out the URLs of package-associated vignettes,
without web-scraping (which shouldn't actually be too hard, but I won't
illustrate here how to do it)

  You probably want to use the URL of your local mirror rather than
the main CRAN site when doing this.

  Ben Bolker