[R] how to find outliers from the list of values

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu May 17 15:44:26 CEST 2012

Hi

I had not see any answer yet but maybe there is nobody who wants to touch
the elusive object of "outlier". Neither me, but here are some ideas how
one can proceed.

First of all its always up to you what is considered an outlier and how
will you deal with them.

I usually call an outlier any item which does not fit to the pattern and
the pattern is usually best observed by some plotting function. You can
identify outlier points, inspect the data source, correct typing mistakes
and only if the value is really measured and you can not find any reason
why it has such value it is real outlier. Then ***you*** need to decide
what to do with it - discard, can come from some long tailed distribution,

So here are my 0.02$ regarding an outlier theme.

Regards
Petr