[R] Help needed for efficient way to loop through rows and columns

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Wed May 16 15:53:04 CEST 2012

Can you show us what you want the final data.frame to look like? You've
created five variables stored as factors and you seem to be trying to change
those to numeric values? Is that correct?

Since AB and BA are always set to 1, you could just replace those values
globally rather than mess with the ifelse commands for those values. Only AA
and BB are affected by the value of AorB.

Your apply() function processes the data.frame by row so i is a vector
consisting of all the values in the row. You seem to be coding as if i was a
single integer (as in a for loop).

David L Carlson
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Texas A&M University