[R] Kerning of italic text in plotmath

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue May 15 21:30:54 CEST 2012

I believe that this depends on the font in use and the graphics engine
doing the rendering, which I believe may depend on the OS. You
supplied none of this information -- it _is_ asked for in the posting
guide --  but you might try changing your fonts,font size, and/or
graphics device to see whether that gives you something more to your
liking.

HTH.

-- Bert

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Fisher Dennis <fisher at plessthan.com> wrote:
> David
>
> You missed the point -- the issue was not the spacing between WORDS.  It was the spacing between LETTERS (as noted in the original email)
> Other suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Dennis
>
> Dennis Fisher MD
> P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
> Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
> Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
> www.PLessThan.com
>
> On May 15, 2012, at 12:01 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>

>> On May 15, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Dennis Fisher wrote:
>>
>>> R 2.14.0
>>> OS X and Windows
>>>
>>> Colleagues
>>>
>>> I am trying to add some italicized text to a graphic using the code that appears below.
>>> For the italic text, kerning is not ideal -- spacing between letters is larger than I expected.
>>> Is there a simple solution to this?
>>
>> Use fewer tildes?
>>

>>> Dennis
>>>
>>> plot(1, type="n", axes=F, xlab="", ylab="")
>>> mtext(side=3, line=-0, "Some Text")
>>> mtext(side=3, line=-1, expression(italic(Some) ~~ Text))