[R] Plotmath bug or my misunderstanding?

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Sat May 12 23:05:26 CEST 2012

This is a followup to a recent post on using atop() to obtain
multiline expressions.

My reading of the plotmath docs makes it clear that issuing (in base
graphics) the specification

par(cex = 2)

doubles symbols and regular text in subsequent plotmath expressions.
However, it is unclear to me what specifying cex _within_ the
annotation function using plotmath should do, and the following seems
to want to have it both ways: ignore/obey )or maybe recycle?)

plot(1,type="n", xaxt='n', yaxt='n', ann=FALSE)
 text(1,1,labels=expression(atop(sigma,"some text")),cex = 2)
## obeys the cex specification in symbols and text

HOWEVER

plot(1,type="n", xaxt='n', yaxt='n', ann=FALSE)
 text(1,1,labels=expression(atop(atop(sigma,"some text"),"another
level")),cex = 2)
## ???

For even more fun, try:

plot(1,type="n", xaxt='n', yaxt='n', ann=FALSE)
 text(1,1,labels=expression(atop(atop(sigma,"some text"),"another
level")),cex = 1:2)
##????

So I confess to being flummoxed. Enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Bert

--

Bert Gunter