[R] registry vulnerabilities in R

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed May 9 07:22:22 CEST 2012

I am totally ignorant on these matters, but ..

R is open source statistical software written largely for (and used a
lot by) academics for research. So I would not be surprised if it has
"security vulnerabilities". As usual, the GPL explicitly exempts the R
organization from any responsibility on these matters. "R comes with
no guarantees."

That said, you'd have to check with R core about how they try to
defend against errant code being deposited on CRAN and distributed.
AFAICS, they do a damn good job. Ar least, I've never heard of
complaints of problems.

-- Bert