[R] What is the most cost effective hardware for R?

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Tue May 8 15:01:09 CEST 2012

I think the general experience is that R is going to be more
memory-hungry than other resources so you'll get the best bang for
your buck on that end. R also has good parallelization support: that
and other high performance concerns are addressed here:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html

Performance (as it is for most computationally expensive tasks) will
likely be better under Linux and you'll get good free help from
R-SIG-Fedora and R-SIG-Debian if you pick one of those (in addition to
whatever your sys admin can give)

Michael