[R] How to plot PCA output?

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Tue May 8 12:35:37 CEST 2012

I think you're being unnecessarily restrictive there. The confusion that arises when using multiple scales in the same graphical dimension arises from a tendency to read distances and locations on the wrong scale. In a biplot, the PC's have essentially no intuitive physical interpretation (by which I mean a 1:1 mapping onto an identifiable variable) so this doesn't matter much even if it happens (in fact you  cold probably lose the scales entirely in a biplot without compromising its interpretation much). And the alternative - sticking rigidly to the 'one axis per dimension' rule and to plot them with the _same_ scales - often leads to unreadable plots: invisibly tiny arrows or an invisibly tiny cloud of data points.

But having indicated that I don't see a biplot's multiple scales as particularly likely to confuse or mislead, I'm always interested in alternatives. The interesting question is 'given the same objective - a qualitative indication of which variables have most influenced the location of particular data points (or vice versa) and in which general direction - what do you suggest instead?'

Steve Ellison