[R] commenting out a block of R code

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at wlandres.net
Mon May 7 09:27:13 CEST 2012

In vim, first move to the top line of the block.
Then press Shift+V (i.e. upper-case V); this line will then be
highlighted.
Then move down (down-arrow key) to the bottom line of the block;
the whole block will then be highlighted.

At this stage enter

:s/^/# /

(The "g" in Don's sequence is not needed -- it is for global
substitution within a line).

This is easy and quick in vim, and does not require entering line
numbers. I'm not sure now (long time since I used vi) whether
it also works as stated for vi.

Ted.