[R] alarm() doesn't beep

Sat May 5 21:02:06 CEST 2012

The alarm() function just sends a ctrl-g (ASCII BEL character) to the console terminal. If the terminal type recognizes this byte according to that interpretation, and it is not locally configured to disable sound, then you should hear an audible alert. Linux consoles typically do handle this. In X Windows, you have many possible terminal emulators, so you will have to read the documentation for the emulator you are using.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing