[R] Can't import this 4GB DATASET

iliketurtles isaacm200 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 05:21:14 CEST 2012

Your code works!

strangelines.txt was created, and it's a text file with just spacebars ...
Seems like a few thousand lines of complete blanks (not 1 non-blank entry).

One thing, when I ran your code there was an error message;

> setwd("C:/Users/admin/Desktop/hons/Thesis")
> con <- file("dataset.txt", "rt")
> out <- file("strangelines.txt", "wt")
> # skip first 5 lines
> lines <- readLines(con, n=5)
> # read the rest in blocks of 100.000 lines
> while (TRUE) {
+     lines <- readLines(con, n=1E5)
+     if (length(lines) == 0) break;
+     strangelines <- lines[nchar(lines) != 97]
+     writeLines(strangelines, con=out)
+ }
Warning message:
In readLines(con, n = 1e+05) : incomplete final line found on 'dataset.txt'

I'm really not sure where to go from here. This has gone way out of my
depth.

-----
----

Isaac