[R] Why does RODBC driver returns garbage from Sybase server on new windows 7 machine?

Alok Jadhav alok.jadhav at credit-suisse.com
Fri May 4 09:38:55 CEST 2012

Hi,

 I am trying to query a Sybase database on my new windows 7 machine.  I am
using native sybase driver "Adaptive server Enterprise" following is example
code

conn <- sprintf("driver=Adaptive server
Enterprise;server=PHKSESMD01;database=smd_live;uid=temp_user;password=temp_pass;port=2301")
chan <- odbcDriverConnect(conn)
x <- sqlQuery(chan,sql,as.is=as.is)
odbcClose(chan)

I am able to connect to the database and get the data using above code. But
when the data is more than couple of hundred lines (4 columns.. its not
much), i get garbage data. I usually get 5 to 6 rows correctly and remaining
data is NAs.  Is this an issue with ODBC driver or issue with RODBC library?
I would think driver is ok because it works fine in other applications.  Can
someone suggest what could be wrong here and how to resolve it?

Regards,
Alok