[R] Data frame vs matrix quirk: Hinky error message?

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Tue May 1 19:49:00 CEST 2012

Hi Bert,

The failure itself is the documented behavior: ?'[.data.frame' says

"Matrix indexing ('x[i]' with a logical or a 2-column integer
     matrix 'i') using '[' is not recommended, and barely supported.
     For extraction, 'x' is first coerced to a matrix.  For
     replacement, a logical matrix (only) can be used to select the
     elements to be replaced in the same way as for a matrix."

The error message may be a bit hinky, as obviously data.frames can be
indexed by things other than logical matricies. Or is there another
reason this strikes you as odd?

Best,
Ista