[R] ff usage for glm

Thomas Lumley tlumley at uw.edu
Sat Mar 31 01:31:47 CEST 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Bond, Stephen <Stephen.Bond at cibc.com> wrote:
> Greetings useRs,
>
> Can anyone provide an example how to use ff to feed a very large data frame to glm?
> The data.frame cannot be loaded in R using conventional read.csv as it is too big.
>
> glm(...,data=ff.file) ??

I shouldn't think glm() will work on data that are too big to read
into R.  However, bigglm() from the biglm package should work.  You
just need to write a function that supplies chunks of data from
ff.file as requested (see the example on ?bigglm).  I haven't used ff,
but it looks from the documentation as though chunk() will do all the
difficult parts.

  -thomas

--
Thomas Lumley