[R] avoiding expression evaluation when calling a function

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 21:42:56 CEST 2012

Hi Benjamin,

See inline

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Benjamin Caldwell
<btcaldwell at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Another question on functions - I have something that looks like
>
> plotter<-function(i){
> temp.i<-rwb[rwb$vector1 <=(i*.10),]
>  with(temp.i, plot(vector2, vector3, main=(i*.10),))
> mod<-lm(vector3~vector3-1,data=temp.i)
>  r2<-summary(mod)$adj.r.squared
> rsqrd[i]<-r2
> legend("bottomright", legend=signif(r2), col="black")
>  abline(mod)
> rsqrd<<-rsqrd
> }
>

> I'd rather not have to go into the function and re-type each vector and
> dataframe as I apply it to different vectors. My idea is something like:

Close, but pass a formula object.  Something like (untested)

plotter <- function(i, frm, obj, form){
  temp.i<-frm[frm$obj <=(i*.10),]
 plot(form, main=(i*.10), data = temp.i)
  mod<-lm(form, data=temp.i)
 r2<-summary(mod)$adj.r.squared
  legend("bottomright", legend=signif(r2), col="black")
 abline(mod)
 return(rsqrd)
}

and I guess you are doing this for different values of i? so maybe

rsqrd <- lapply(1:100, function(my.i) plotter(i = my.i, frm =
your_frm, obj = your_obj, form = y ~ x))

Hope this helps,

Josh