[R] Nested brew call yields Error in .brew.cat(26, 28) : unused argument(s) (26, 28)

Matt Shotwell matt.shotwell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Mar 30 03:27:59 CEST 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 11:40 +0100, Chris Beeley wrote:
> I am writing several webpages using the brew package and R2HTML. I would
> like to work off one script so I am using nested brew calls. The
> documentation for brew states that:
>
> "NOTE: brew calls can be nested and rely on placing a function named
> ’.brew.cat’ in the environment in which it is passed. Each time brew is
> called, a check for the existence of this function is made. If it
> exists, then it is replaced with a new copy that is lexically scoped to
> the current brew frame. Once the brew call is done, the function is
> replaced with the previous function. The function is finally removed from
> the environment once all brew calls return."
>
> I'm afraid I can't quite figure out what it is I'm supposed to do here.
> I've tried loading the brew library within the script which I pass to
> brew, and I've tried defining brew cat like this:

The paragraph above describes what brew is doing behind the scenes. It's
not necessary to modify or set the .brew.cat function.

A nested (or recursive) brew call occurs when brew() is called from a
document currently being processed by brew().

To illustrate further, suppose there are two brew documents,
example-1.brew and example-2.brew, where example-1.brew contains the
following text (delimited by '''):

'''
This text is in example-1.brew.
<%= brew::brew("example-2.brew") %>