[R] POSIXlt vs POSIXct

Steven R Corsi srcorsi at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 29 21:11:14 CEST 2012

Thanks for the link Michael. This is a very good explanation with some
very useful tips on which date classes to use for different purposes. It
generally strengthened the concept that POSIXct is the way to go unless
you need to extract specific components of the date from POSIXlt. Since
strptime() appears to be the primary conversion route from character
class with dates/times/time zones to a date/time class, and since
strptime() results in a POSIXlt format, that was what I was commonly
using in past applications. That format, at times, gave me errors in
situations where I didn't expect them. Now it is clear that the second
step of conversion to POSIXct is preferred for many purposes.

Best Regards
Steve

Steven R. Corsi        Phone: (608) 821-3835
Research Hydrologist   email: srcorsi at usgs.gov
U.S. Geological Survey
Wisconsin Water Science Center
8505 Research Way