[R] Why does this work? plyr within-subset normalization

Justin Haynes jtor14 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 22:14:36 CEST 2012

To those without access to nabble, the code in reference is:

relative <- ddply(ranktable, .(Timestamp), function(x)
data.frame(relative = x[,5]/max(x[,5])))

I may be misunderstanding your question, but:

ddply splits your data.frame, ranktable, by the column Timestamp into
many smaller data.frames, one for each unique Timestamp value.

Those new small data.frames are sent one at a time to the function you
specify.
So, when you call max(x[,5]) you're taking the max of the data.frame
sent to the function rather than the max of the larger ranktable
data.frame.