[R] Get data from Access 2010 database

kpzimmer kpzimmer at ucalgary.ca
Wed Mar 28 05:36:14 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'm new to R and am trying to access data from a Microsoft Access 2010
database. I've read through the RODBC package vignette and seem to
understand the instructions of the commands but can't see to connect to the
database. I have installed the Access Database Engine from the Microsoft
website.  I get the following errors when I try to connect:

> channel <- odbcConnect("K:/UWRRDatabase_9Feb2012")
Warning messages:
1: In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=K:/UWRRDatabase_9Feb2012") :
  [RODBC] ERROR: state IM002, code 0, message [Microsoft][ODBC Driver
Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
2: In odbcDriverConnect("DSN=K:/UWRRDatabase_9Feb2012") :
  ODBC connection failed

I setting up a ODBC connection in ODBC data sources in the Administrative
Tools of Control panel and also through
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
but I must not be setting things up correctly.

Any advice or suggestions to solve this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.