[R] writing output directly to file; sink?

Diann Prosser dprosser at usgs.gov
Mon Mar 26 22:56:28 CEST 2012

Sorry- I was so excited it was working that I didn't see your reply:
"What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it."

Answer is that I was trying to figure out the most efficient way (mainly in
time moreso than physical space) to save my output so I could clear the
memory so R could move on to processing the next variable. In the end, I
will need to pull the variables back in and do further work on them.

Your posts were very helpful. I now understand what sink was doing which was
not accomplishing my goal. Save is working very well, and I'm able to clear
the memory before moving to the next step.

Thanks a million.