[R] row, col function but for a list (probably very easy question, cannot seem to find it though)

MBoersma markboersma at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 00:17:18 CEST 2012

Hi guys,

I'm quite new to R but quite enthousiastic. I'm trying to rewrite a bit of
code in order to make it faster, so instead of nesting for loops I'm trying
some apply functions. Since it's a combination of lists of matrices and
other matrices, I would like to use lapply() on the list and still be able
to use the list index to index in the matrices.

So, in "code format"-
x <- list()
for (i in 1:10){
  x[[i]] <- c(1:i)
}

lapply(x,length)

is there a possible way to say "lapply(x, function(x) length(x)/index(x) )"
and return 1's. I would be looking for the index. I know that row() and
col() work in the matrix case. I would find it interesting to use it with
arrays as well.

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Mark