[R] Constraint optimization containing constraints with absolute values

Dimitris.Kapetanakis dimitrios.kapetanakis at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 21:38:08 CET 2012

Dear all,

I would like to use constraint optimization routine but with the constraint
containing absolute values of the arguments.

For example I would like to maximize a log-likelihood function (loglik) wrt
b where b is a vector of length=2 with the constraint abs(b[1])+abs(b[2])=2.

The unconstraint optimization could be given by:

loglik	<- function(b) -colMeans(Y*log(Prob1(b))+(1-Y)*log(1-Prob1(b)))
ML		<- maxLik(loglik, start=matrix(1,k,1), method="NM")

but I do not know which package or code can provide me with the solution of
this particular optimization problem.

Thank you all

Dimitris