[R] Using MuMIn - error message

Dragonwalker dragonwalkerart at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 24 04:48:48 CET 2012

This was solved by loading each package right before using it (I thought you
loaded both at the beginning). However I now have an additional issue. I ran
a small model with just three factors to try it out and it worked
beautifully, but when I tried to run it with all the factors this is what I
got when I tried to run the model:

> ABmodel<-read.csv(file.choose(), header=T)
> ABmodel$Brood<-as.factor(ABmodel$Brood)
> ABmodel$Site<-as.factor(ABmodel$Site)
> ABmodel$Age.class<-as.factor(ABmodel$Age.class)
> ABmodel$Tide<-as.factor(ABmodel$Tide)
> ABmodel$tide.h.l<-as.factor(ABmodel$tide.h.l)
> ABmodel$tide.inc.out<-as.factor(ABmodel$tide.inc.out)
> ABmodel$MF.vs.OF<-as.factor(ABmodel$MF.vs.OF)
> local({pkg <- select.list(sort(.packages(all.available =
> TRUE)),graphics=TRUE)
+ if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})

> fullABmodel1<-lmer(Feeding~Site+Age.class+tide.h.l+tide.inc.out+Tide+HDp+NHDp+Foraging.Eff+MF.vs.OF+Age+HDr+NHDr+AllDr+(1|Brood),
> data=ABmodel, REML=FALSE)
Error in mer_finalize(ans) : Downdated X'X is not positive definite, 7.
> fullABmodel1<-lmer(Feeding~Site+Age.class+tide.h.l+tide.inc.out+Tide+HDp+NHDp+Foraging.Eff+MF.vs.OF+Age+HDr+NHDr+AllDr+(1|Brood),
> data=ABmodel, REML=FALSE)
Error in mer_finalize(ans) : Downdated X'X is not positive definite, 7.
> fullABmodel1<-lmer(Feeding~Site+Age.class+tide.h.l+tide.inc.out+Tide+HDp+NHDp+Foraging.Eff+MF.vs.OF+Age+HDr+NHDr+AllDr+(1|Brood),
> data=ABmodel, REML=FALSE)
Error in mer_finalize(ans) : Downdated X'X is not positive definite, 7.
> summary(fullABmodel)
Error in summary(fullABmodel) :
  error in evaluating the argument 'object' in selecting a method for
function 'summary': Error: object 'fullABmodel' not found

I am attaching my raw .csv file. Note those above that are as.factors. The
file has more factors than I am using because I am also going to be looking
at different issues with it. Note that broods are nested within site but I
want to see if site has an effect. I ran a smaller model and it was weighted
and had a delta below 2 but not sure if that is only because so few factors
were being compared, so thought I would run it as a fixed then maybe as a
random later. http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4500740/AllBroodmodel.csv
AllBroodmodel.csv