[R] Recommendations regarding textbooks

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Thu Mar 22 16:20:10 CET 2012

On 2012-03-22 05:17, richard willey wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was hoping to get some advice regarding teaching R in an academic environment.
>
> What are the best choices with respect to textbooks?
>
> When this question was asked a few years back, people were primarily
> recommending “Modern Applied Statistics with S” and “Introductory
> Statistics with R” as two good choices.  I’ve also heard some good
> thinks regarding “An R Companion to Applied Regression”.
>
> Has anything else really good come along in recent years?
>
> Alternatively, are there any really good companion textbooks / lab
> manuals to accompany standard texts?

  "... teaching R in an academic environment" is a bit too general.
If you're primarily concerned with using R in teaching statistics, then
the course level would be important. For into, Dalgaard's is nice. The
MASS book is something of a bible for more advanced courses.

On the other hand, if you're talking about R programming, then I can
recommend "A First Course in Statistical Programming with R"
by John Braun and Duncan Murdoch as a very nice introduction.

Peter Ehlers