[R] Loading Dataset into R continual issue

bobo blezaic2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:52:19 CET 2012

Hi, this is related to academic research I am trying to conduct. Please
pardon my lack of socialization for this forum.

For my project, I had to combine two different datasets, Democracy dataset
from Pippa Norris and World Bank Patents dataset.

My issue arrises from just loading the file into R. My colleagues proficient
in R have been stumped as well.  Often times the file would seem to load
fine using read.table command, however when I tried to run summary
statistics of variables, it would say "object not found".

I have tried different formats and commands. Formats .xlsx, .csv, . txt.
Commands read.table, read.csv, read.delim. I have tried to run summary
statistics of Pat2006, Pat2005, Pat 2004 all the way to Pat 2001.

Could anyone PLEASE help me solve this issue? I cannot even begin to say how
thankful I will be.

I have uploaded the .txt file onto mediafire website for easy access. I
posted .txt so people aren't worried about viruses or anything of the sort.
I can also post other versions of the file, or direct to the 2 original
datasets.

Good Democracy Dataset http://www.mediafire.com/?ytg7a76s7ox05se  (141 kb)