[R] Importing files

Santiago Guallar sguallar at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 21:13:17 CET 2012

Hello,
I'm trying to import into R files that contain data downloaded from logger devices as files with the following formats:
.act
.lig
.trj
.trn
These files are essentially text files but use both tabs and commas as separators.
I've tried the function scan:

1) scan("filename.act", what=character(0)) returns only two columns from the original 5
2) scan("copia.act", what=character(0),sep=",") returns three columns but puts the original fifth one in the next row

Attached a sample file with five fields. How can I get one field per column?

Thank you for your help