[R] Having difficulties installing r commander

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Mar 18 15:56:28 CET 2012

Dear Rowan,

As you can see, the error message in your email did not come through,
probably because you posted your message in HTML, which isn't accepted by
the r-help list (see the mailing-list instructions).

I'm going to guess that you're working on Mac OS X.

If the Rcmdr package was successfully installed, you needn't worry about the
dependencies. Just load the Rcmdr via library(Rcmdr) and it will offer to
download and install the additional packages that you need if any are really
missing.

If the Rcmdr package wasn't installed successfully, then you'll have to send
the resulting error message as plain text so that I can see what it is.
There have been recent problems with the index of Mac OX X binary packages
on CRAN, but I believe that it has been fixed, and I had no trouble just now
installing the Rcmdr on a Mac using the Ontario CRAN mirror.

The installation notes for the Rcmdr at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>
suggest that you use the command install.packages("Rcmdr"), which will end
up installing many fewer packages than if you set dependencies=TRUE. I
noticed that the command install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies=TRUE) is
still mentioned on the main Rcmdr page, and I should change that.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Senator William McMaster