[R] R crashes due to stats.dll

Ted Stankowich teds at bio.umass.edu
Sun Mar 18 01:15:47 CET 2012

Hello!
I've been running a looped AIC analysis using several modules including
ape, nlme, and MuMIn, and during one particularly long analysis, R (ver
2.14.12) crashes several minutes into the routine with the simple
message "R for windows GUI front-end has stopped working".  I'm using a
brand new laptop with Windows 7, i7 processor, 8GB RAM.  I've tried it
on both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of R.  Using the 64 bit version,
the analysis makes it through a few iterations before it crashes (maybe
about 20-25 min into the test).

The event viewer provides this information every time it crashes:
Faulting application name: Rgui.exe, version: 2.142.58522.0, time stamp:
0x4f4e7196
Faulting module name: stats.dll, version: 2.142.58522.0, time stamp:
0x4f4e72c0
Exception code: 0xc0000005

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong here?

Thanks in advance!