[R] Coding C++ in R. What is faster : Using bosst external libraries or R.h header file?

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:44:02 CET 2012

There will be ever-so-slight performance differences due to
implementation differences (I believe R's functions are just a hair
slower because they are more exact -- though that may be a comparison
with GSL I'm thinking of), but my advice would be to use the RNGs that
come with R. They are the best in the business and you'll have the
benefit of them being auto-upgraded with each new R release (as well
as getting better support from the R lists).

What you really should look into is the Rcpp project. It provides nice
wrappers to R's RNG functions and makes the whole porting process
worlds easier: e.g., http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2011/07/14/

Hope this helps,

Michael