[R] Idea/package to "linearize a curve" along the diagonal?

Emmanuel Levy emmanuel.levy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 20:07:27 CET 2012

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply and the example.

I'm not sure if it could be applied to the problem I'm facing though,
for two reasons:

(i) my understanding is that the inverse will associate a new Y
coordinate given an absolute X coordinate. However, in the case I'm
working on, the transformation that has to be applied depends on X
*and* on its position relative to the *normal* of the fitted curve.
This means, for instance, that both X and Y will change after
transformation.

(ii) the fitted curve can be described by a spline, but I'm not sure
if inverse of such models can be inferred automatically (I don't know
anything about that).

The procedure I envision is the following: treat the curve "segment by
segment", apply rotation+translation to each segment to bring it on
the
diagonal, and apply the same transformation to all points
corresponding to the same segment (i.e., these are the points that are
close and within the "normal" area covered by the segment).

Does this make sense?
All the best,

Emmanuel