[R] Problems when building a package for Windows 64

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:17:52 CET 2012

On 12-03-11 4:30 PM, Eduardo Mendes wrote:
> Dear Prof. Ripley
>
> Many thanks. rtools 2.15 did the job.
>
> One note if I may - In the rtools site one reads
>
> rtools215.exe - r>2.14.1 to R 2.15.x No
> rtoosl214.exe - r 2.13.x or R.2.14.x yes
>
> which can mislead the reader.  2.14.x could mean 2.14.2

But as Prof Ripley told you, you *can* use rtools214 in 2.14.2:  it's
just not the default, you'll need to edit a MkRules.local file.

 > and "no" could mean
 > that rtools-2.15 is not read for prime time.

"No" could mean lots of things, but in the context where that one
appeared, I don't see "not ready for prime time" as a reasonable
interpretation.  The reason the tools change is because bugs get fixed,
libraries get upgraded, etc.  The "frozen" ones contain all the bugs
that were present when they were frozen.  The unfrozen ones are maintained.

Duncan Murdoch