[R] How do I do a pretty scatter plot using ggplot2?

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 01:54:48 CET 2012

Hi Michael,

Although I do think ggplot2 does a superb job of elegant data
visualization; I am not sure any graphics package will do what you
want.  I suspect you will first have to do some work binning your
data, and then plot in your package of choice.

In the situation that you have described, I do not believe your two
criteria can be met.  Having x bins of equal size seems prohibitive of
having equal number of points in each, when values are highly
dispersed.

Just as a heads up, for this specific of a task, I would expect you
will spend a few hours more than you already have.  If you are willing
to be a bit more flexible in your requirements, there are various
binning algorithms in ggplot2 and other packages you could use to bin
x valus, and then plot those against y quantiles.

You are more likely to get a clear answer from the list if you can
provide some sample data and perhaps a few example graphs showing what
you hope to achieve.  An easy way to provide some sample data is using
the dput() function and then paste the output into your (plaintext
please) email).

Cheers,

Josh