[R] making a second version of R

Erin Hodgess erinm.hodgess at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 05:11:18 CET 2012

Hi R People:

I currently have a version on R on a Debian squeeze Linux machine,
which I obtained via "apt-get instal...."

Now I would like to have a second installation of R (for a small
experiment) that I compile myself from the tar file.  I'm going to
delete it as soon as the experiment fails, which I think it will.

But anyway, I'm trying to compile this from scratch.  The R-2.14.2
direction is in /home/erin/

I want all of the R directories to go to /home/build1, so they don't
interfere with the "real" R.

I think I want to do the following:

cd /home/build1
/home/erin/R-2.14.2/configure --prefix=/home/build1

make

and let it rip.

Is this the right thing to do or am I leaving out something, please?
I feel like I'm leaving something out.

Thanks,
Erin

--