[R] Re : Re : Adding mean line to a lattice density plot

K. Elo maillists at nic.fi
Thu Mar 8 18:05:22 CET 2012

HI again,

thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, due to my deadlines, I had no
time to test Petr's suggestion. I will test it later. I had to figure
out an alternate solution, so I decided to use "normal" plotting functions:

 > with(subset(ISGFINC2, as.numeric(SGENDER)==1), plot(density(PV1CIV),
   lwd=2, lty=1, ylim=c(0,.006)))
 > with(subset(ISGFINC2, as.numeric(SGENDER)==2), lines(density(PV1CIV),
   xlab="", lwd=2, lty=2))
 > abline(v=mean(ISGFINC2$PV1CIV[ as.numeric(ISGFINC2$SGENDER)==1 ],
   na.rm=T), col=2, lwd=2, lty=1)
 > abline(v=mean(ISGFINC2$PV1CIV[ as.numeric(ISGFINC2$SGENDER)==2 ],
   na.rm=T), col=2, lwd=2, lty=2)

This command sequence produced the plot I was looking for. But since the
lattice package offers several options not available in "normal"
plotting, I am still interested in understanding how to add elements in
a lattice/trellis plot.

Kind regards,
Kimmo