[R] Packages 'effects' loads 'name' which conflicts with 'lme4' [corrected subject: Package 'effects' loads 'nlme' which conflicts with 'lme4']

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Mar 8 17:10:47 CET 2012

Dear John, et al.:

       What happens with import(foo) and importFrom(foo, f, g) with foo
in suggests?  Does foo appear in the search path?  If no, then it may be
wise to specify all uses in package "mine" of objects from package
"other" using import and importFrom with "other" in suggests.

       If this is accurate, then users of "mine" will never have to
worry about secondary conflicts like "effects" using "name" from either
"nlme" or "lme4":  The use of "name" from "nlme" in "effects" will not
cause "nlme" to be loaded.  That means that it won't matter to "effects"
whether and where "lme4" is loaded, and it won't matter to the user,
either.

       Might it be good to modify section "1.6.1 Specifying imports and
exports" of "Writing R Extensions" to make this clear?  I just read it
now, and it seemed quite clear to me except for this point.

       Thanks,
       Spencer