[R] fill=T?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Mar 7 23:36:26 CET 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 4:32 PM, karena wrote:

> If a text file has rows of variable lengths. How to read the file
> into R?
>
> I think some people may suggest using 'fill=T', however, it sort of
> messes
> the data up, for example, in the text file:
> a    b    c    d
> 1    2    3    4
> 1          8    6
> 1    2          0
> 1    1    0
>
> If I read in the file using ', then the
> data.frame in R will be:
> a    b    c    d
> 1    2    3    4
> 1    8    6    NA
> 1    2    0    NA
> 1    1    0    NA

You need to specify what your seaprator is. If that is tab-separated,
then you need to run:

read.table("data", head=T, sep="\t", fill=T)

> Could anyone tell me how to handle this?

Only if you provide reproducible data. At the moment what you pasted
into that mailing did not have tabs in it .... at least after your
mail client, and then Nabble, and then the Rhelp server had their way
with it.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT