[R] Why aren't row names in a data frame unique?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Mar 6 17:57:17 CET 2012

S+ does allow duplicates in the row names if you ask for them
to be allowed (with data.frame(..., dup.row.names=TRUE) or
attr(df, "dup.row.names") <- TRUE).

They were allowed because bootstrappers were sampling the
rows of data.frames with replacement and it turned out that
a fair bit of time was being used calling make.unique() on
the row names of the sample.

There may be better solutions to that problem, but that is
why S+ allows them.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com