[R] the problem about sample size

Helena Chui chui0009 at flinders.edu.au
Sun Mar 4 04:54:09 CET 2012

Hi,

Sorry I didn't know the original post in this thread was not included. I'm using R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31).

This is the program:
fitLME4 <- lme(iadl ~ obstime,
random = ~ obstime | id, data = iadl.long.df, na.action=na.omit)
fitSURV <- coxph(Surv(Time, death) ~ agew1, data = last_aa.df, x = TRUE)
fit.JM4 <- jointModel(fitLME1, fitSURV, timeVar = "obstime", method = "piecewise-PH-GH")

This is the error message:
Error in jointModel(fitLME1, fitSURV, timeVar = "obstime", method = "piecewise-PH-GH") :
  sample sizes in the longitudinal and event processes differ; maybe you forgot the cluster() argument.

I have missing data in the lme data and that's why I used na.omit. But results of the lme and coxph show the same number of participants.

From lme:
Number of Observations: 4818
Number of Groups: 2087

From coxph:
n= 2087, number of events= 1721

If the number of groups in lme = n in coxph, why am I getting the error message that sample sizes differ?

Many thanks for your help.

Helena