[R] Noob question - Identity argument within aggregate function?

knavero knavero at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 02:28:15 CET 2012

z is a zoo object as a result from reading in the following series

z = suppressWarnings(zoo(1:8), c(1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5))

This is what z is in the aggregate function. So then that brings us to
"aggregate(z, identity, tail, 1)". All I was trying to accomplish was trying
to reproduce an example shown on the zoo faq. I've read ?aggregate via
terminal and used "/identity" to search through the documentation for the
specific term "identity". I'm just trying to understand what identity is
used for because I do not understand the error statement.