[R] Plotting a registered sign

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 22:18:55 CET 2012

On Mar 1, 2012, at 2:40 PM, Dennis Fisher wrote:

> R 2.14.0
> OS X
>
> Marc's proposed solution (appearing at the end of this email) is
> perfect -- thanks so much
> However, some questions remain:
>
> 1.  The following works:
> 	plot(1, type="n")
> 	text(1, 1, expression(symbol("\342")))
>
> but this does not work (TEXT appears in a symbol font)
> 	plot(1, type="n")
> 	TEXT	<- "\342"
> 	text(1, 1, expression(symbol(TEXT)))

?substitute
   text(1, 1, substitute( symbol(TEXT), list(TEXT=TEXT) )  )

?bquote

text(1, 1, bquote( symbol( .(TEXT )  ) ) )

> nor does this work (it yields:	Error: could not find function
> "symbol")
> 	plot(1, type="n")
> 	TEXT	<- symbol("\342")
> 	text(1, 1, expression(TEXT))
> Clearly, I do not understand the subtleties of plotmath.

expression() does not evaluate names within its arguments. Similar
issues arise with the use of "$" as a function. That's why it's often
the answer to programming questions that one should use obj[[colnam]]
than it is to use obj$colnam. "[[" does evaluate its argument.

>  Could someone explain?

Try instead:

plot(1, type="n")
	TEXT	<- expression(symbol("\342"))
	text(1, 1, TEXT)

If you want to build up from character-type components then you can
use paste and wrap the whole think in as.expression(). bquote() is
much better, though.

--
David.